Essential information

Ongoing leadership
Sophisticated talent
Entrepreneural Enviroment
A Latin American hub

WTTC Summit: Chile promotes more than 25 tourism investment projects in Seville

The Chilean delegation to the world’s most important tourism industry congress was led by the Undersecretary for Tourism and the Director of InvestChile and had a busy schedule of meetings with companies and key authorities.

The Summit, organized by the World Travel & Tourism Council (WTTC), is the most important congress for the global tourism industry. This year’s Summit, in the Spanish city of Seville, was inaugurated by Spain’s Prime Minister Pedro Sánchez, with former US president, Barack Obama, as the keynote speaker.

Chile participated in the event for the first time and was represented by a high-level delegation, led by Undersecretary for Tourism Mónica Zalaquett and the director de InvestChile, Cristián Rodríguez, who promoted Chile’s Map of Investment Opportunities in Tourism in more than 20 meetings with companies, key authorities and other important local players.

“These are opportunities in specific projects, either in national parks or in emblematic places in our cities, which will allow investors to develop their projects in Chile. We are also promoting large investments, seeking to attract hotel chains, more airlines and, in general, have more and better tourism in Chile,” said the director of InvestChile.

According to Undersecretary Zalaquett, “this portfolio demonstrates the government’s commitment to strengthening the tourism industry and the importance it attaches to attracting foreign investment, not only reinforcing Chile’s reputation as a tourist destination but also as a business and investment hub for the region.”

The Map of Investment Opportunities in Tourism, which comprises more than 25 initiatives around Chile, was launched together with more than 15 Seville-based companies that are members of the Confederation of Businesspeople of Andalusia (CEA). The event was attended principally by companies interested in entering the Chilean market that are leaders in the technology and infrastructure sectors, which are key for strengthening tourism.

The Map of Opportunities was also presented at the WTTC Summit to more than 30 companies and international media interested in learning about the tourism industry’s development and growth in Chile.

About the Map of Opportunities in Tourism

  • 24 investment opportunities, 42% in the form of concessions and 58% in the form of sale of the property against an investment project
  • 22 properties, plus areas for tourism services in 2 national parks (Pumalín and Patagonia)
  • 150,798,782 m2 or 15,079 hectares.
  • Properties in 7 of the country’s regions, principally Los Lagos (80%), Araucanía (15.3%) and Aysén (3.8%)
  • 92% of the properties are owned by the Ministry of State Properties, with the remaining 8% corresponding to concessions in national parks.